Saturday 14 May 2016

Love Conquers: "Our Triplets Came 17 years After Wedding" (2)



Dr Dayo and Kehinde Olagunju were married for 17 years before God visited them with a set of triplets. In the first part of this story, at a point, the wife became frustrated and asked her husband to get another wife. What did he do?

 She said, "He just walked away without any answer. Ironically, after a day or two, I would go back to God and tell Him that I was not ready to let go. I would say if this was the last thing I would do on earth, I must have my children.”
Her husband said, “Whenever she was in such moods I didn’t mind her, neither did I show any anxiety and she even asked if I had a child somewhere, what with my behaviour. Though it occurred to me that I could end up not having kids, I made her realise that as an educationist, I have many children and would always make an impact in their lives. I would not deny some suggestions but I never heeded because marrying a second wife was not the answer.  I never wanted any woman except my wife to have my babies. We were two in this travail and getting another wife was out of it. Maybe if we had not been delayed, our marriage would have been dissolved. Maybe it was God’s way of solidifying our union.”

The triplets—a boy and two girls—were christened after their parents’ challenge. The boy, who came first, is called Oluwawamiri (God has found me) the second, a girl is called Oluwadara (God wrought wonders) while the last is Oluwaseyitan (God did this). The babies came through assisted reproductive technology such as the InVitro Fertilization.

 Kehinde explained that: “I had some fertility treatments and even assisted reproduction but all failed. It was the last one, which my doctor forced me to have that God approved. After the treatment, I thought the pregnancy test would be negative as usual but it was positive. Again, I was awaiting my ‘after-three-month’ miscarriage. I took ill for a while and was admitted at the hospital. Everyone thought it was malaria. On my part, I was always going to the ladies to check my underwear for blood but none came. Then, the fourth month, the fifth, sixth and then the 34th week when the babies came. Indeed, God is faithful.”

Their joy knew no end. The happy father said. “She had the babies in Canada.  When she called me that she had been delivered of them, I didn’t know what to say, I just started making calls and sending text messages to friends and family members that Kenny has been delivered of a set of triplet.”

The mother said. “I looked at them in the incubator (they came 34 weeks and five days before the Expected Delivery Date) I now realised that these are truly mine and I started crying. All the white doctors and nurses, who performed the Caesarian Section, must have been moved by my tears because they all cried too. I was happy. I had to start thanking God, who intervened on my case. My twin sister’s first-born was already an undergraduate in the university when I had my triplets. I had passed my 45th birthday.”

The children clocked six years on November 20, 2015.

The enthusiastic father said, “We were suddenly transformed into celebrities. Religionists and traditionalists who had believed, before that time, that my decision not to submit to any human agents as having power to speak to God on our behalf were suddenly converted to using our story to encourage their congregations. Many Christian publications culled our story from newspapers under their testimony column without permission. Even those who had used the late delivery of babies to humiliate my wife were some of the earliest to change her name overnight; she immediately became "ìyá Èta.”

No comments:

Post a Comment